Monday, October 26, 2009

Hi-Mart Boi

The laptop I have which I affectionately refer to as “Lappy” is about 5 years old. Coming to Korea I was worried that my Lappy would fail me in its old age. Some people think that 5 years old isn’t that old for a laptop. But for an Acer it’s practically ancient in my opinion. I was half expecting Indiana Jones to kick down my door and swipe it from me.

I went to E-Mart to check out their selection (E-Mart is a kind of like Walmart) . I couldn’t find anything in my price range (Free ~ 1.1 million won/*$1000CND) that I liked. Also most of the laptops at E-Mart ran on XP which only had Korean as the language option. I was told that with Vista I could change the Korean to English. Finding that out was great but then I realized I would have to do it all on my own. I know a lot about computers but I lack the confidence in completing a task like that. Then I thought about all work I would have to do loading all the drivers needed. Suddenly I wished that my bro was there to figure it all out for me.
I wasn’t sure where I should go to find a laptop so; I decided to ask the Main Co-teacher (Main Co). The Main Co said to try Hi-Mart(Hi-Mart is kinda like a Best Buy or Future Shop). That afternoon I went to Hi-Mart determined to find a laptop I could call my own.

Upon arriving at the store I was greeted by several employees they all beckoned for the one person in the store that could speak the best English. I was quickly ushered into the laptop display area. I busied myself with studying the selection.
Suddenly there he was Hi-Mart Boi. “Do you speak Korean?” He asked with a smile.
“A little” I say nervously avoiding eye-contact. Gees why was I so nervous all of a sudden. I’m just buying a laptop. I look at Hi-Mart Boi. He has pierced ears, wearing glasses, short spiky hair, approximately 5’8” and a muscular/athletic build.
We talked about laptops for a while. But we got sidetracked as the usual questions about me got asked.

How long have you been here? Why Korea? Where do you live? Where do you teach? Do have any Korean friends? Etc etc.

After I told him I wasn’t going to get anything at that moment. I needed to think about it for a while and all that. What I really wanted to do was check it out on the internet and see what other people have said about the laptop before I get it.
I went home researched the product and decided if I couldn’t stop thinking about the laptop then I would get it. It was on sale and the price was the lowest I had ever seen so knew I needed to make up my mind soon if I wanted to get it.
Later that evening I went to the store Hi-Mart Boi was there ready to close the deal. I was keen on buying it but I had a few more questions about the computer. I told him that can’t read Korean and needed the operation system to be in English. He assured me that it could be done. Then I asked about Microsoft office. I needed to have an English version of that program for my school work.

“Oh sure, I can get that for you” Hi-Mart Boi said “I can set everything up for you.”
I was happy to hear that. Customer service in this country really goes above and beyond. Later I was seated at a table and all the information was written up for the purchase. Hi-Mart Boi brought me something to drink. Looking down more at the paper than at me he said “How old are you?”. At this point he had my ARC (Alien Register Card) so I thought that is was a dumb question when my information was clearly on there. I told my age. Then he said “Oh I’m 28”. He pulled out a business card then wrote on it quickly. “If you need anything or have any problems you can call me.” He looked so shy completely avoiding my gaze. I gave him my number too.
About 2 days later my new lappy was ready. We didn’t have much time to talk in the store since it was busy. When I got home I discovered that Hi-mart Boi fully updated my computer, changed all he could into English, install Microsoft Office, and as an added bonus put a whole bunch of Korean music on my computer.
So for the next week we text messaged each other like mad. At one point Hi-Mart Boi came over to see me at my place with Starbucks coffee. Unfortunately for him I wasn’t at home at the time. That same night he called me and made plans to meet up on the weekend for dinner and a movie.

Later in the week I text him to confirm the details about the upcoming outing. Nothing. I sent a few more texts thinking that my phone was acting up again and nothing was going through. Still nothing. I’m not sure what happened but I think I’m being ignored. I’m curious to know why he isn’t talking to me anymore. Jokingly I keep telling O-Mocha that he real girlfriend must have found him out. Or that another ebony goddess walked into Hi-Mart. But whatever the reason he isn’t talking to me anymore.

So one last thing… The Main Co-teacher told me that I should pick up some last few things for my apartment. She said to go to Hi-Mart to get the prices of the items and the school will give me a gift card so I can pick them up.
Go to Hi-Mart?

I was in a slight panic. The last thing I needed was to see Hi-Mart Boi and have a super awkward moment.
Later that week I went to Hi-Mart. I kept praying the entire time that I wouldn’t see or be seen by Hi-Mart Boi. I managed to get in and out of the store in record time. The only thing that sidetracked me was an awesome poster of TOP from Big Bang. I figured if I was spotted I might get a text or call from Hi-Mart Boi, but nothing happened. So I’m safe until I go back into the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment